Degree-seeking Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1: How can I apply?
Please follow the following four steps to complete the NSYSU application for International Students:
1. Read the Regulations thoroughly
2. Create an account using your email address and set the password
3. Upload all required documents to the online application system.
Note: OIA does not accept any documents submitted in hard copy (except for recommendation letters). Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if any uploading problems occur.
Q2: May I apply for more than one program?
A: Each applicant may apply for up to two undergraduate/graduate programs and one group within one undergraduate/graduate program at most. When applying for two undergraduate/graduate programs, please submit the required documents individually for each program. Applicants accepted by both programs can only choose to enroll in one program.
Q3: May I apply for more than one scholarship?
A: You can apply for as many scholarships for which you are eligible; however, you can only hold one scholarship at a time. For detailed information relating to scholarships, please visit the following websites:
l. National Sun Yat-sen University Scholarship: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1007-16279.php?Lang=en
2. Elite Doctoral Student Entrance Scholarship: https://exam-oaa.nsysu.edu.tw/p/406-1065-226849,r4371.php?Lang=zh-tw
3. Taiwan MOE scholarship & Taiwan MOFA scholarship: https://taiwanscholarship.moe.gov.tw/web/scholarship.aspx
4. Taiwan ICDF Scholarship (Only for International Master's program in Electric Power Engineering): https://www.icdf.org.tw/ct.asp?xItem=12505&CtNode=30316&mp=2
Q4: There are 2 types of NSYSU scholarships for Ph.D. students. How should I choose?
A: Tick "yes" in the online degree application system and upload the Consent Form signed by your future NSYSU advisor to the system before the application due date. (You need to find an advisor by yourself. Please search the program’s website for a potential advisor and send them request emails.) In principle, all admitted Ph.D. students will have the tuition and fees waiver (type A), and only the top 4 students of each college for fall admission and the top 2 students for spring admission will get an extra dorm fee waiver (type B).
Notes: 1. (The scholarship will be canceled if the recipients are found to hold a working ARC, APRC, or possess a full-time job on- or off-campus.
2. For the International Elite Doctoral Student Entrance Scholarship application, OIA will send more information to admitted applicants after the admission announcement.
Q5: If I am currently studying at an institute, what should I need to provide?
A: For applicants currently studying at an institute, proof of registration /enrollment issued by the institute must be uploaded to the online application system.
Q6: Do I have to verify my diploma/transcript at the time of application?
A: You can upload scanned degree diplomas and transcripts at the time of application. You need to upload both the originals and the translated certificates of diploma and transcript if the originals are not in Chinese or English. Once an official admission announcement has been made, admitted students are required to submit the authenticated diploma and transcript to the Office of International Affairs before the announced deadline. No verification of degree diploma and transcript is needed for applicants who graduate from a Taiwanese university. All offers of admission are conditional until the documents are submitted.
Note: Please provide a high school diploma when applying for a bachelor's program, a bachelor's diploma for a master's program, and a master's diploma for a Ph.D. program. Applicants for Ph.D. programs should provide both bachelor's and master's transcripts.
Q7: How much money should I provide in the financial statement at the time of application?
A: 1. You must provide a financial statement of at least USD 4,000 or NTD 120,000 issued within three months of the application period.
2. Full scholarship recipients can provide a scholarship certificate instead of a financial statement (scholarship application form not accepted).
3. If the financial statement is not in the applicant's name, a declaration with the sponsor's signature must be included that states the relationship with the applicant and the support for all the applicant's expenses in Taiwan.
Q8: Do I need to pay the application fee?
A: No, NSYSU does not charge an application fee.
Q9: Must I submit the proof of language proficiency?
A: All applicants must submit proof of language proficiency in accordance with departmental requirements.
Q10: What should I do if I received the "Application Return" Notice?
A: Please log into the system and check the comments for the return reasons. You could click "re-submit" before the application deadline (Fall admission- Mar 31 / Spring admission-Sep 30)
Q11: I have made some mistakes on my application; what can I do to change the information?
A: The application form you submitted is considered final. If you wish to make amendments to your application, please send an email to (email@example.com) before the deadline, and we will return your application. Please make sure to upload the correct documents and click "re-submit" before the application deadline.
Any re-submission after the application deadline is NOT ACCEPTED.